Science Lab Equipment

Basic Lab Techniques Pagelink to a local webpage
Microscopeslink to a local webpage

Here's a list of equipment for lab stationslink to a local webpage and lab trayslink to a local webpage
Additional equipment is available, if requested by your group before the lab.

You should know the name of each piece and its basic use.

For exact volume measurements of liquids. Pipet on the left is a Volumetric pipet. It has only one graduation for delivering one exact volume. Pipet on the right is a Mohr pipet. It has graduations for delivering any number of exact volumes.     Pipet


There are several styles of fillers used to draw liquids into a pipet. A standard pipet bulb is the most commonly used one.

Never draw a liquid into a pipet with your mouth.

      Pipet filler

one type of pipet filler

Used in conjunction with a vacuum connection to a water faucet to speed up filtration. Filter flask


The Erlenmeyer flask is a common flask in  chemistry lab. It is used to contain reaction solutions. Erlenmeyer flask


The rounded bottom of the florance flask makes it ideal for boiling liquids. It also makes this flask easy to tip over when sitting on the lab table. Florance flask


The volumetric flask is used to make solutions. It has a precise graduation line in the neck of the flask. A solute is placed into the flask, then the solvent is used to bring the total volume up to the graduation. Volumetric flask


Beakers are the most versatile glassware in the lab and can be used for just about anything. The volume graduations on beakers should be used only for "ballpark" estimates.     Beaker


Used to make accurate measurements of liquid volumes. The bumper ring on larger cylinders is to prevent breakage if tipped over. Keep it near the top. Graduated cylindar

graduated cylindar

This dish is used to recover dissolved solids by evaporation. While it can be heated, it should not be used for "strong" heating. Evaporating dish

evaporating dish

A watch glass can be used like an evaporating dish for very small amounts of liquid. It can also be used to cover beakers.     Watch glass

watch glass

When attached to the ring stand, this iron ring is used to support glassware above the lab table.     Support ring

support ring

When attached to the ring stand, this clamp is used to hold a large test tube or Florance flask above the lab table.     Utility clamp

utility clamp

Crucibles are used as a container when something requires "strong" heating. Crucible and cover

crucible and cover

These tongs are used for picking up crucibles and crucible covers only.         Crucible tongs

crucible tongs

Used as a support for beakers when placed across a support ring.     Wire gauze

wire gauze

Used to light a lab burner. Not a toy noisemaker during lab.         Striker


Used to grind solids into powders. Mortor and Pestle

mortor and pestle

Used to hold test tubes for short periods of "gentle" heating.

Test tube holder

test tube holder

When lined with filter paper, used to filter suspended solids from a liquid. Filter funnel

filter funnel

Used for rinsing solids out of a container when filtering. Wash bottle

wash bottle

Used to transfer solids from their original container to a scale for weighing. Chemical spoon

chemical spoons

Used to close hoses by pinching them together. Hose clamps

rubber hose clamps

Desiccators are used to provide a dry environment for a crucible or substance to cool down. This is critical in quantitative work where moisture can affect mass results. A common dessicant is anhydrous calcium chloride. Colored indicator crystals are usually included to tell the user the condition of the dessicant. A gray color in the crystals usually indicates that the dessicant is dry and will absorb moisture. A pink color usually means that the dessicant is "hydrated". When this happens, the water can be removed by heating it in an oven. Desiccator


Research Links:

DV Biology Home